“Top 10” INTERPRETING DAILY AFFIRMATIONS
1) We are providing ways for people to communicate and connect with others but we don’t make the decisions. It’s THEIR lives. Always keep this in mind.
2) Stay present & engaged within each assignment.
3) Be open and respectful to ALL world-views, perspectives, and mindsets. Be empathetic to each situation that is encountered.
4) Show respect to each person you interact with. Treat people the way you would want to be treated, or you would want someone you love to be treated.
5) Be aware of oppressive systematic structures that can influence communication and relationships.
6) Enter in to each situation with a mindset of openness. Learn as much as you can about the world and the people in it.
7) Allow yourself to let down your guard and to feel, BE HUMAN.
8) In order to effectively communicate, interpreters need to be able to take it all in, process it all, and learn from experiences.
9) Learn as much as you can and always seek to improve your work. Good enough is simply not ‘good enough’.
10) Self-care is so important. Do the things that make you happy every single day.